Current Status - 1.0b018 BETA - Ready for Adoption
Sept 29, 2008
PHOCOA has been upgraded to BETA status! The following recent accomplishments have led me to begin promoting adoption of PHOCOA:
- Over 3 years in production with multiple applications (view our property search app)
- Completed all major planned refactoring in the last couple of months
- I am comfortable that there will be no BC-breaking changes in the future
- I have taught several other people how to use it, and have really simplified installation and setup and use based on feedback
- Improved user guide
At this point, I am ready for others to try to use PHOCOA to build some web applications. I really want to get the project moving forward now that there is a stable infrastructure and a clear path forward.
We are particularly interested in people with the following skills:
- Framework architecture
- Session management
- Cocoa (to work on PHOCOA Builder)
- PHP5, OO Design
- PEAR packaging
- Documentation (DocBook, PhpDocumentor)
To get involved, just sign up for the phocoa-dev mailing list and tell us how you want to help!
Milestone: 1.0 Release
A debugged, documented, API-stable version for the public!
- Internationalization Infrastructure - might wait for PHP 6 for this... although we could get started minus unicode support
- WFSession - how do we want to handle sessions?
- PEAR installable.
- More example code, documentation.
- More tests.
- More Widgets (particulalry YUI support)
- WFTreeExplorer - a hierarchicy widget. Better name anyone?
- WFTreeController - a Controller layer interface for hierarchies. I can see this being great for menu systems in particular.
- Windows, UNIX, Web-based version of PHOCOA builder?
- WFNumberFormatter - improve capabilities to include %, currency, negatives, etc inline with NSNumberFormatter.
- DONE - WFYAHOO_widget_Menu - a widget to build menus based on WFArrayController or WFTreeController.
- DONE - Infrastructure for direct AJAX callbacks to widgets
Milestone: 1.0 Beta - DONE! 9/18/2007
Before we go 1.0, we want to make as many of the backward-compatibility breaking changes as possible. Once we go 1.0, I'd like to keep BC very strong.
The following areas of the framework need to be completed for the 1.0 milestone:
- DONE - Any architectural changes needed?
- DONE - Stabilization of APIs - please look for inconsistencies so we can
- DONE - Look at the To Do List from the code.
- DONE - Make sure that the page life cylce is working as best as possible. Do we want a no-action callback? or is testing $page->hasSubmittedForm() sufficient?
- DONE - Do we want to support target-action for buttons? Right now things are hard coded; button named XXX calls function pageName_XXX_Action() method. If we support target-action (and subsequently target-action bindings) we could eliminate the need for some more coding, such as simple action handlers to call save().